Saturday, November 8, 2008

Another week gone by...



Jeph and I enjoyed a busy but 'regular' kind of week. Today, Jeph traveled to Kobe with his middle school basketball team for their second game of the season and he has gotten into the swing of weekly practices and Saturday morning games. I (Karen) was busy substituting and babysitting in addition to proctoring the SAT exam last week. I remain amazed that we are really in Japan- life seems so normal and yet, still so different. I am enjoying our scooter and have gotten into the habit of driving it almost daily. (after about 6 weeks of riding, we finally needed to get gas- Jeph drove it up to the station and $4.40 was all it took to fill it up!) I rhode the bike up to school on Thursday, but left it there for Jeph to ride home after his practice. I really enjoyed the walk home and couldn't believe what all i had missed as i had been whizzing by on my bike (yeppers, I now drive the speed limit and have even passed my first vehicle!!!)
Some of the things i rediscovered include:
* chatting (ok, it's really just a few words of greeting and some hand signals) with the numerous little old men who serve as street/traffic controllers. They seem to get a kick out of our small encounters in the same way that i do.
* the smell of the incense as you walk past the cemetary (I do have to laugh a bit as i notice the flowers that are left at the graves. They are the same arrangements that i get from the store for our table. I have decided that they will serve as a reminder for me to die to myself each day as i seek to live for Christ)
* the construction that is going on! I couldn't believe how many houses have been completed and how many are under construction just in the short time that i have been here. To see the finished products, the ones hidden behind the green or blue covering, to hear the sounds of the hammers and staple guns as well as all the large machines still clearing land and moving dirt on the other side of the road were things i stopped noticing when riding the scooter. I can't imagine what it will look like in just a few more weeks.
* the challenge of not getting run over by people on their bicycles- it can be pretty wild on the sidewalks. I always feel like i should move to the left but have found that there doesn't seem to be any rules re: this. Thankfully, bikes are equipped with little bells and folks are quick to let you know they are behind you!
So, although i do love riding the scooter, i think i will make it a point to walk at least a few times each week so as not to miss out of these simple gifts along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment