
The whole bunch for just 398 yen! Great price!

It's hard to tell how really huge these celery bunches are. Really, I never knew they could grow to this size. In a 'regular' store, one stalk would be 200 yen.

These are bags of carrots- huge ones, all for 198 yen. The onions to the right are also quite large!
Even the octopus are super-sized!
It's so nice being able to buy one pack of hamburger instead of three or four smaller ones! And at a great price too. Shopping and eating has become much more fun since finding this store! I have yet to figure out why they include what looks like a marijana leaf and why not every pack has one...???
fish kabobs anyone?
Although it's nice that steaks can be found... and I suppose this is a good price... still can't bring myself to spend $43 on four steaks! Not having a grill helps to make it not quite as tempting!
Although it's nice that steaks can be found... and I suppose this is a good price... still can't bring myself to spend $43 on four steaks! Not having a grill helps to make it not quite as tempting!I then head out to load up the scooter. Be assured that this provides great entertainment for the parking attendants! I do have to be careful when shopping- whatever I buy HAS to fit on the scooter to get it home. I have gotten fairly good at estimating just how much is realistic, but... it's not a perfected art- yet! Here's what the scooter looks like loaded down. (yes, the seat opens up and provides additional space!)

Once I get the groceries home and unloaded, i head off to my next favorite stop: the coin laundry! (thanks to Amberly and Courtney for helping me to find this place!) I hop back on the scooter and this time, I ride with my old Discovery Toys luggage bag stuffed between the seat and the front of the scooter. My legs straddle the bag and I assume I look a bit 'interesting' as I notice people staring at me as I ride by! Oh, the fun of being a foreigner in Japan!
the beloved laundromat!
Not sure if these are popular in the States yet, but... they are awesome. A washer and dryer all in one. No need to worry about laundry detergent, it's included in the wash cycle. Now if they could only figure out how to fold the clothes....
the directions... they look fairly simple, but I did have to ask someone for help the first time!
Not sure why, but more often than not, you have to pay for something at a different place than where you eventually make your purchase. The laundromat is no different. You put your money in this machine and get a small card that you then insert into the wash/dry machine. The advantage is that if you buy the card, you get an extra 200 yen credit.
If I had a cell phone, I could punch in the number and get a text message when the load was finished!
Although I've never used this, I think it's a great idea.
While my clothes were washing/drying (the whole process takes one hour and costs 1,000 yen per machine), I run to the Lawson's convenience store to pay a utility bill! An interesting set up but this where you pay! While there, I had the pleasant surprise of meeting a cashier who had studied in England! Her English was great and we enjoyed a fun conversation. I was so excited, I bought a fun waffle/cake to celebrate!
Not sure if these are popular in the States yet, but... they are awesome. A washer and dryer all in one. No need to worry about laundry detergent, it's included in the wash cycle. Now if they could only figure out how to fold the clothes....
the directions... they look fairly simple, but I did have to ask someone for help the first time!
Not sure why, but more often than not, you have to pay for something at a different place than where you eventually make your purchase. The laundromat is no different. You put your money in this machine and get a small card that you then insert into the wash/dry machine. The advantage is that if you buy the card, you get an extra 200 yen credit.
If I had a cell phone, I could punch in the number and get a text message when the load was finished!
Although I've never used this, I think it's a great idea.
While my clothes were washing/drying (the whole process takes one hour and costs 1,000 yen per machine), I run to the Lawson's convenience store to pay a utility bill! An interesting set up but this where you pay! While there, I had the pleasant surprise of meeting a cashier who had studied in England! Her English was great and we enjoyed a fun conversation. I was so excited, I bought a fun waffle/cake to celebrate!
the waffle/cake treat
Once back at the laundromat, I ate my little dessert treat and enjoyed getting my calendar organized and reading a chapter of Bad Girls from the Bible (fun book, I recommend it!)
There are flowers everywhere- spring has definitely arrived!With all the errands done for the day, I return to our apartment. I put away all the clean clothes (and am so excited that I don't have to iron them all- one of the things I most appreciate about the dryers!) run the vaccuum, take the garbage out, catch up on some email and before I know it, Jeph is home and it's time to start dinner. I'll be at school all day tomorrow, so I am especially thankful for the time today to get all of these 'projects' done.
For those of you who have asked what a typical day is like... enjoy. I continue to seek to find the wonder in the ordinary that makes up so much of our days!
No comments:
Post a Comment