Saturday, October 11, 2008

Traveling Day

October 7, 2008
Bags packed (I did decide to go ahead and take a third bag…it incurred an additional fee- but it’s ok- it’s already worth it! J), Linda sufficiently informed about all the house details (thanks for being there Linda- I continue to pray that our home will be a blessing), Laura on her way to take me to the airport (thanks LL). I arrived and got checked in and headed to my gate. The first leg of the trip was a quick flight to Washington DC. While waiting at RDU, I met my first of several new friends- a delightful older couple from Taiwan who have retired and now live in Pinehurst. What an inspiration they were to me and I hope that Jeph and my marriage will reflect some of what I saw in them.
Flight #2 was the biggie although I admit the time went amazingly quickly. From Dulles, I flew directly to Narita, Tokyo. 7,000 miles later, a bunch more new ‘friends’, three movies, two significant naps, two trips to the bathroom (the hot spot to talk with fellow travelers- not in the bathroom of course, but waiting in line for the privilege), I arrived at Narita. Two noteworthy events- 1) we spent the entire flight in daylight and 2)I was seated next to a young man who had recently reinlisted in the army. Jamal was on his way to work in a dental office on a base here outside of Tokyo. He was a riot… he was so excited about the opportunity to be in Japan he really couldn’t stop smiling. Even as he slept, he had a smile on his face. I thought he was going to burst as we walked toward customs- he could hardly contain himself! There was something about watching him and being a part of his journey that I am grateful for. I hope I remember to pray for him and his new adventure in this incredible, yet foreign land and I hope that our shared excitement will remind us to take advantage of each new day-with eyes and hearts wide open.

No comments:

Post a Comment