Saturday, May 30, 2009

the joys (?) of home ownership

It really is good to be home- but I admit that I had to remind myself that home ownership is a worthwhile investment! Every since I returned to the States, there have been several 'welcome home' events. What started with two dead cars (one needed to be towed up to the shop, the other responded to a jump start) has now joined up with a falling garage ceiling (thought it was due to water damage... which was very disheartening considering we just replaced the roof last year, but it ended up being compliments of a poorly installed ceiling from Mr. Do It Yourself who we bought the house from!). Yesterday, our hot water tank decided to join in the fun. Thankfully, and I do mean thankfully, I was home and caught the 'rushing river' within minutes. Today, I had the honor of meeting several plumbers and Andrew and I will be enjoying cold showers until Monday when we will have a new tank-less water heater installed. I admit to being shocked at the cost of replacing a water heater. I was thinking a new tank would be a few hundred dollars- Not! For those of you who have a water heater purchase in your near future- be prepared! We got what seemed like a reasonable deal and it was $2,000!! Ouch! With two kids in college, I'm thinking our house just wants to join the fun! I only wish I could end up with a master's degree or something from these tuition-like payments!

Good bye ole' girl!


1 comment:

  1. yikes aunt karen!!! we're sorry to hear about the home headaches. You and Andrew are more than welcome to come hang out here and get in a hot shower :) luckily the days are pretty warm and cold might not feel horrible otherwise. Hope things get fixed fast for you.

    ReplyDelete